I live in Iowa, where our governor is trying her damndest to make abortion as inaccessible as possible. I’m from California, where the governor could soon sign a bill that would let public university health centers offer the abortion pill. This post was born of bitterness and jealousy. Enjoy.
“No one wants an abortion.”
- Yes, they do.
- And even if they don’t, you can need something without wanting one.
- No one wants a root canal or open heart surgery, but abortion is safer than both of those things.
- No one wants a medical procedure at all in the same way they “want” a new car or an iPhone or whatever, but if they want to not be pregnant anymore, this choice should be available to them.
“We all want abortion gone.”
- Wouldn’t it be nice if we never had to do any medical procedures ever again? If everyone stayed healthy and their bodies behaved?
- Wait, is that not realistic?
- If another abortion never had to be done again, that would be great! Not because abortion itself would be gone, but because we would have also figured out how to prevent all unintended, unwanted pregnancies. Amazing!
- Outlawing abortion doesn’t make it go away. It just makes it unsafe.
“I’m pro-choice, but anti-abortion-as-birth-control.”
- WHOMST are you talking about? Your friend Abortion Ashley who drops hundreds of dollars on her weekly abortion that she conveniently fits between her Zumba class and drinks with the girls?
- But for real, who are you talking about? Who thinks, “Hell yeah, I’d rather inflict a potentially dangerous medical condition on myself for no reason than prevent it at all”?
- Is your suggestion to give everyone birth control? Because as it stands, not everyone can get birth control.
- In any case, can you name a birth control that’s 100% effective?
- (Don’t say abstinence. We all know how “abstinent” people can get pregnant.)
“Only 3% of Planned Parenthood’s services are abortion-related, which is why we should keep them in business.”
- Reproductive rights include abortion.
- Abortion access should not be used as a bargaining chip to ensure that clinics stay open.
- The people who want to shut down Planned Parenthood do not care, because abortion isn’t their single issue. Their single issue is ensuring people cannot get the health care they need.
- Case in point: Mike Pence caused an HIV outbreak in Indiana because he didn’t like abortion and didn’t care who else suffered as a result.
- It just looks like abortion is their single issue because they don’t say it exactly like this.
“No one likes abortion.”
- Yes, they do.
- And if they don’t, that’s no big loss either. See “No one wants an abortion.”
- Liking the procedure itself and liking that the safe option exists, or liking that you were able to get it done, are (or can be) different.
- But if you feel nothing but relief throughout, or gratitude for your providers who are risking their own lives to give you care (whether abortion-related or not — see “Only 3%…”), or the overwhelming desire to jump for joy when it’s over, more power to you. There’s no one right reaction to having an abortion.
- Anyway, I like abortion. That’s one!